Advertisement

Go Back   Utah Guns Forums > Firearm & Shooting Discussion > Rifles
LOGIN

Rifles Talk about Rifles

Old 12-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Default 22-250 vs. 223

I'm looking to get a rifle that I can shoot long range. I don't care about it's knock down power at 300 yards. I'm looking for something that is cheap to shoot and will last a long time. I mostly just plan to target shoot. I may occasionally go shoot some rabbits and may even consider some coyote in the future (even though I've never shot coyotes before). So, what would everyone recommend?

Pro and Cons I've been able to find:

22-250
Pros
  • Shoots faster/farther
  • Shoots flatter
Cons
  • More expensive per round
  • More kick
  • More breach wear

Pros
  • Per round cost is cheaper
  • Gun itself is generally cheaper
Cons
  • Shorter range
So what else am I missing? Is there really a benefit to the 22-250 when I don't plan to hunt with it and since I'm just really planning on target shooting mostly, will the added range of the 22-250 offset the added cost and wear?

Any suggestions on guns?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 PM

A lot of the difference between the two for target shooting at 300yd is going to boil down to the gun and conditions.

From what I've seen 22-250 has an effective range of about 400yd and .223 is about 300yd. However, there are a lot of guys in Iraq and Afghanistan making shots with .223 at 600yds.

I'd go for the .223 and then make sure I spent some extra on a quality gun. The ammo is a lot more prevalent, and cost less so you shouldn't have any problem finding it to go shooting.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy1ble View Post
A lot of the difference between the two for target shooting at 300yd is going to boil down to the gun and conditions.

From what I've seen 22-250 has an effective range of about 400yd and .223 is about 300yd. However, there are a lot of guys in Iraq and Afghanistan making shots with .223 at 600yds.

I'd go for the .223 and then make sure I spent some extra on a quality gun. The ammo is a lot more prevalent, and cost less so you shouldn't have any problem finding it to go shooting.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. I like that anywhere you look, you can pickup 223 rounds.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Go with the .223 and practice a lot. Elmer Keith used to shoot wheel guns accurately farther than 300 yards. I like to shoot at extreme ranges for a caliber. Last year I shot a buck at about 325 yards with a .454 Casull in a Puma Legacy. I thought I was goning to be in the woods that day and my buddy put me in a tree stand where I could have used a .50 Browning. (He thought it was funny) I have Lyman peeps on my Puma so I held about 4 inches over the buck's shoulder and viola!. Punched through both sides/lungs with a 265 grain softpoint.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:43 AM

My brother has a Sako 22-250 that is super accurate. The first time I bench shot it I shot a 3 holer that measured
.186 from center to center. His groups were smaller. He had worked up the right load for the gun and shot the barrel in. He said it got more accurate as it smoothed up. Later he had a Douglas barel put on it. Why, I don't have a clue. Boredom I guess.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM

Caleb: when you talk about a .223 versus 22-250 the differences are really small. They both shoot exactly the same bullets. The main differences are in velocity, and the rifles made to shoot them.

The 22-250 is primarily a varmint round. The case holds a little more powder and is capible of higher velocity than the .223, however the rifles made for the 22-250 have barrel twist rates that are designed to stabilize bullets from 45-60 grains. These rifles (unless they are barreled differently) will not stabilize larger bullets like the 68 and 70gr bullets used in the .223 for long range target work.

An example would be the National Match Service Rifle competetion which is conducted at 200,300,600 yards. National Match is conducted at just about every significant gun club in the US including many in Utah. The Army and many civilians consistantly extract astounding accuracy from the AR15/M16 platform, and .223 cartridge using larger and longer bullets.

Both will do the the job you want but since the .223 has enjoyed 50 years of intense developement both in the military and civilian areanas it has been made to do many more jobs than the .22-250 could ever do. This is mostly due to the barrel twist rate issue, however there are many more rifles built to shoot the .223 round than were ever built for the .22-250. There is just alot more to choose from. If you like AR15 style rifles, there is no less than 25 companies making something. There is also a zillion different bolt action rifles, and single shots like the T/C Encore.

The .223 is just a more versitile cartridge due to it's military heritage. Add to that the availibility of .223 Ammo from everyone under the sun, and the choice is pretty much obvious. I recently bought 1000 rnds of .223 Wolf brand to use in my Mini 14 it was $5.23 a box of 20! that's cheap. I doubt you could find any .22-250 ammo for less than $30 a box.

In closing I would NOT recommend a Ruger Mini 14 for you to target shoot with. I bought mine as a weapon to be used in a training class, and in a conflict should that occur. They inherantly are not a very accurate firearm, esspecially when compared to the AR15 style rifle, however they do have a place, it's just not on the target range. Mine is a 3" at 100 yard rifle. At 300yds that's 9" which is a little loose for shooting prairie dogs.

I will someday probably aquire some kind of .223 varmint rifle, just because I reload and can build ammo any way I want and already have a bunch of brass. It will probably be a bolt action rifle. I like Sakos, they are very accurate guns right out of the box, but a T/C Encore with a .223 barrel would be a more versitile gun..

Hope this helps with your descision.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:26 PM

I say go with the 223 also.. I've got both But my TC 223 w/ a Bullberry BBL in it sure shoots good ..I have a new TC Encore 22-250 w/ TC bbl .. I'll shoot out to 300 But not quite the gun the BullBerry is .. But the cost of the ammo we never shoot the 22-250 .......
... I live in the country and can shoot off the back porch .. I have 100yd 200yd 300yd when it's cleaned up and a 600yd targets ..I love to get the grand kids out on the back porch ..Give them a box of 223's and say burn them up boys...
...I like the 300 yd target the best but it's been down a couple of years now ..But at 300 you feel like you've really done something when you get a group and it's not all that hard ...600 is another story ..If you can hit my hat your doing good at 600...