Advertisement

Go Back   Utah Guns Forums > Misc Discussion & Chit Chat > Firearm Law and Politics: Utah & National
LOGIN

Firearm Law and Politics: Utah & National Discussion related to laws, regulation, politics, etc of firearms laws and changes

Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Default selling used guns

What are the laws for selling used guns? I've got a used gun I'd like to sell, but I don't know how to ensure I'm not selling it to a criminal. I know it's impossible to really know who's going to use it for what, but I was curious regarding the laws of selling used firearms.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM

It is legal in Utah to sell firearms privately. I'd recommend that you ONLY sell to those with CFPs or LEO credentials. That is the best way to ensure that you don't sell to a restricted person.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

If they have ink on their fingers, neck or on their face.. I'd kindly change my mind about selling to them.

Cruiser Outfitters
Expedition Utah
Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmanluke View Post
It is legal in Utah to sell firearms privately. I'd recommend that you ONLY sell to those with CFPs or LEO credentials. That is the best way to ensure that you don't sell to a restricted person.
I hate people that make this a requirement. I don't' have my conceal permit and I'm not a LEO so I've lost out on some pretty good deals over the years.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
I hate people that make this a requirement. I don't' have my conceal permit and I'm not a LEO so I've lost out on some pretty good deals over the years.
X2.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 PM

I believe you can't sell to a minor, or anyone that you know may not legally own the firearm.

I also believe that if you sell to a resident of another state you will need to transfer the firearm through an FFL dealer. Long guns can be transferred through an FFL in the seller's state or the buyer's state. But hand guns must be transferred through an FFL in the buyer's state.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
X2.
Sorry guys, but how else can you show me that you're legal to possess the firearm? I have a solution for you so you don't miss out on any more good deals.....go get your permit. Simple as that.
I suppose I could run your criminal history before selling to you, but that's a little invasive IMO.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
If they have ink on their fingers, neck or on their face.. I'd kindly change my mind about selling to them.
Interesting, would it make a difference to you if they have a valid CFP and the ink? Why are (visible) tats a factor for you?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Why are (visible) tats a factor for you?
Probably for the same reason why CFPs are a factor for you, FUD being that reason.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I'd recommend that you ONLY sell to those with CFPs or LEO credentials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
Both approaches are flawed. Having a CFP license proves nothing unless you can verify that it is valid. Also having visible tattoos doesn't mean the person can not own firearms.

You only break the law if you sell to someone that you know can not legally own a firearm. You don't need proof that they can legally own a firearm. If you have no reasonable reason to believe it's illegal to sell to a buyer, it would be legal to to sell to them. But IANAL.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

My comment was more of a joke (note the winky smilie face).. Hollywood and TV shows would lead one to believe that most ex cons or felons have such tatoos.

Cruiser Outfitters
Expedition Utah
Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
probably for the same reason why cfps are a factor for you, fud being that reason.
fud?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Fear Uncertainty Doubt.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM

hey DUDES what side of the flippin fence are you on!!! Make a personal choice, and don't get behind any stupid law that feels good. Use your God given Brain.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
hey DUDES what side of the flippin fence are you on!!! Make a personal choice, and don't get behind any stupid law that feels good. Use your God given Brain.
Welcome
Please stop by and introduce yourself when you get a chance.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:05 PM

I would prefer to transfer the gun through a dealer. But I just make up a bill of sale, just like you would with a car. If they have a concealed permit, I will ask to see it. But I don't require it.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:35 PM

I wouldn't sell a gun to Polygon. Anyone who rolls around Highland in a Lebaron convertible with the top down and his jerry curl mullett blowin in the wind must be up to no good.